A video lesson about a young girl named Tippi and her special relationship with Africa.
|Tippi in Namibia courtesy of You Tube|
1. What do you know about Namibia?
Namibia (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namibia)
|Map of Namibia|
South West Africa
2,113,077 (2011 census)
English, Afrikaans, German, Rukwangali, Silozi, Setswana.
Situated between the Namib and the Kalahari deserts. Namibia is the world's 34th largest country. It has the least rainfall in sub-Saharan Africa.
2. Do you think Namibia would be a good place to bring up a child?
3. With a partner, write a 'For and Against' list for bringing up a child in Namibia.
4. Can you name the animals below?
|Images courtesy of Freedigitalphotos.net|
5. What does 'bridging the gap' mean?
|Image courtesy of renjith Krishnan/freedigitalphotos.net|
* Answer below
Bridging the gap to Africa
- As you watch try to understand the general meaning.
- Write down the names of the 7 animals that the girl plays with in the video.
7. Watch the video again and answer the following questions:
- Where was she born?
- How many years did she live in Africa?
- Who did she befriend?
- Where are her parents from?
- What is Tippi's nationality?
- Where does she live today?
- How old is she now?
- What is her goal?
8. If necessary watch the video a third time.
Discussion: Watch the video again from 1:49
- In what way do you think she can she help the elephants and her friends the bushmen?
- What is a 'protagonist' and why is Tippi 'the perfect one'?
- How do you think that Tippi can 'bridge the gap to Africa'?
- Has the video changed your opinion about bringing up a child in Namibia? Why/why not?
- What can we do to help the animals and people in Namibia?
Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. If you are a Google+ member please comment below. If you're on Facebook please message me there and of course you can always send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks and I hope you found this post helpful :-)
4. 1. Leopard. 2. Elephant. 3. Zebra. 4. Grey parrot. 5. Meerkat. 6. Giraffe. 7. Hippopotamus. 8. Snake. 9. Monkey.
5. If you bridge a/the gap, you make a connection where there is a great difference.
6. Monkey/ Zebra/Meerkat/Leopard/Snake/Elephant/Parrot
1. Where was she born? Namibia2. How many years did she live in Africa? 10 years
3. Who did she befriend? Animals, nature, bushmen
4. Where are her parents from? France
5. What is Tippi's nationality? African
6. Where does she live today? Paris
7. How old is she now? 16 years old
8. What is her goal? To create awareness